Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Missed Events of August

It's been a busy month and I've missed a variety of things - some that I regret and some that I do not. 
  • Golden Lotus Storyline: I was aware that Blizzard was removing the Vol'jin world event introduced in patch 5.3 when patch 5.4 launches, presumably next week.  I was not aware until very recently that the patch also blows up the entire Vale and with it removes a large chunk of the less-than-one-year-old Golden Lotus storyline from the expansion.  I scrambled when I found out, but it does not appear feasible for me to gain the required reputation in the time remaining.  As an aside, I'm gaining this rep nearly twice as fast as was possible when the expansion rolled out due to new mechanics (rep for scenarios, dungeons, and farming) and it still feels slow - no wonder people were less than thrilled with Pandaria's launch.
  • FFXIV Open Beta: I'm frustrated that every studio insists that limited time events run on weekends.  Personally, I play most of my MMO's to unwind after work on week nights and have less time to spend on MMO's during the weekend.  In this case, that missing the party have been a good thing, as I've heard less than ideal things about how Square handled the inevitable soft launch server population issues.  (The open beta servers will NOT be wiped, and is followed by a headstart this week.)  That said, I have not heard anything about a free trial, so it's not clear whether there will be any mechanism to try before you buy for those of us who missed this weekend.  Not necessarily the best move for a game trying to shake a bad reputation.
  • Hearthstone: Got into the beta direct from Blizzard.  Not sure what, if anything, I'll do with that access - why spend time unlocking stuff now when the final game will be F2P and the beta is going to be wiped?
  • Patch 2.3 in SWTOR: New endgame content.  Guess it's not going anywhere.
I guess it's a good thing that the "slow" month of August hasn't been too painfully slow.  Anyone else feeling like they're having trouble keeping up? 

3 comments:

  1. Hearthstone: Got into the beta direct from Blizzard. Not sure what, if anything, I'll do with that access [...]

    *twitch*

    I... I'll take it off your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about asking for your key, too... but honestly I wouldn't use it. I'm upset about hearthstone but not because I was excluded. (f2p, wipe before release, exactly what you said in your post...)

    I'm more upset that it's going to be the only thing people talk about from now until release. Every little tweak or change or announcement is going to flood the headlines. No matter what ACTUAL news happens, hearthstone is going to be everywhere. And as more invites go out, I'm going to find fewer and fewer people to play the multiplayer content that I want to play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearthstone: Got into the beta direct from Blizzard. Not sure what, if anything, I'll do with that access - why spend time unlocking stuff now when the final game will be F2P and the beta is going to be wiped?
    mmokaufen.com
    WOW Gold

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated and will not appear until manually approved because the overwhelming majority of such comments are spam. Anonymous commenting has unfortunately been disabled due to the sheer volume of comments that are defeating Google's spam filter.