Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Merits of Intermission

One of the biggest lessons I've learned as a MMO tourist is to never finish your to do list.  In general, the fun goals - e.g. run every dungeon at least once - get done early, while the less fun goals tend to get put off til later.  When I stick around "too long", I find that I walk away from the game with less positive feelings and stay gone for longer as a result.

I'm at one of these crossroads in EQ2 at the moment - a bit over halfway through the non-raid dungeon progression, nearing the AA cap, and approaching the maximum on most of the current expansion factions (most of which I don't really need for anything, other than a passtime while I look for groups and some free AAXP).  Groups are getting a bit harder to find as I move away from the easy dungeons of the expansion, and the side projects I can do while I try to get a group are getting less interesting (e.g. grinding Desert of Flames factions for an additional housing option, now that we can have multi-housing). 

My subscription happens to be due, and now is about the time to cancel if I want to take advantage of the "winback" promotions that will most likely follow November's expansion - this year, the same amount of money spent on EQ2 would have netted me $20 worth of station cash and a vulture mount if I had planned my gaming schedule around EQ2's marketing promotions.  In and of itself, that's not necessarily reason to re-arrange my schedule.  Then again, if it happens to encourage me to take a break at a time that makes sense anyway, a little EQ2 intermission might not be a bad thing for everyone concerned.

Specifics of this case aside, I wonder if there is a niche for a game that actually plans on players wandering off every few months.  A Tale in the Desert is notable for doing something almost like the season finale of a TV show, actually bringing down the servers at the end of a "telling".  Obviously, no developer wants to not get paid during the "season break", and perhaps the effect on the community would be disruptive.  Then again, there could be long-term gains in avoiding player burnout, and I could see the new trend of story-driven MMO's - SWTOR chief amongst them - being well positioned to taken advantage of a tourist-driven playerbase that will naturally wax and wane as content is released. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated and will not appear until manually approved because the overwhelming majority of such comments are spam. Anonymous commenting has unfortunately been disabled due to the sheer volume of comments that are defeating Google's spam filter.