Monday, October 11, 2010

The Value Of Emblems

With patch 4.01 looming, I'd been agonizing over whether to purchase heirloom maces for my planned Enhancement Shaman alt. This class prefers slow swinging maces over the fast daggers I already own for other characters, but none of the other classes I plan to play would want to use them. On the other hand, the maces are costly at the Argent Tournament (overpriced compared to other heirlooms), and my current supply of emblems would not buy even one at the newly increased level 85 prices.

In the end, I decided to take the maces, and I also traded in all the emblems on my warrior for the heirloom staff to use on my second server.

In principle, both characters could or perhaps even should have used the emblems/justice points for actual gear for themselves instead. That said, the thing I realized as I pondered this question was that it's only virtual money. I got a good deal if I actually end up using the things, and, if I don't, my "losses" are digital points that I'm going to earn more of anyway. Sometimes, it's worth remembering that.

2 comments:

  1. I've been similarly agonising over the same stuff, and came to the conclusion that I was going to have the most "fun" in Cata levelling a new alt, so it was worth investing in all the heirlooms I could. It was a bit galling trading down all those EoFs but I think it was worth it. I can have more fun getting new gear for my 80 too!

    Thanks for doing the spadework on the figures, your site has been most useful. Especially news on the heirloom price hike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I haven't even tried to get any heirlooms. I don't have a single one. I think I have less than 50 emblems of anything too.

    I kind of like just jumping into the leveling game without all the frills. It makes killing stuff take a little longer and so my game lasts a little longer in the long run.

    I don't sweat the emblems at all. I hardly even do any instances. I guess that would make me a super-duper casual or something.

    Oddly enough, I am willing to rep-grind all day long to unlock frills.

    I guess I find this secondary gear tree sort of pointless. I know why some people do it, but it seems like such a shallow way to play the game. People already run raids over and over, now they run 5-mans over and over...

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated and will not appear until manually approved because the overwhelming majority of such comments are spam. Anonymous commenting has unfortunately been disabled due to the sheer volume of comments that are defeating Google's spam filter.